Re: **adding ram -need to do more**

At 02:45 PM 6/6/2003, DuSTiN KRySaK wrote:
On 6/6/03 11:38 AM, "Gerry Tool" <gstool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> spit this out onto
my computer screen:

> It sounds like the memory modules are not compatible with the BIOS of that
> computer.  Check with the supplier to see if the mainboard/computer you are
> trying to use them in is compatible with the modules you have.
>
> Gerry
But it works in the other machine that is IDENTICAL - down to the bios, etc.
The only difference is windows 200 on one, and redhat 9 on the other....

Dustin

Dustin

If the two motherboards are truly identical, down to the BIOS version, and the BIOS sees the RAM when installed in one MB and not the other, then I strongly suspect that you have a HW problem on the one MB. Without regard to the OS installed, the BIOS ought to see the installed RAM. The suggestions that Gerry made will help you ID any bad memory slots you may have.

One thing to check carefully is that the memory modules are fully, repeat, fully seated in the slots. You might try one at a time and look carefully with a bright light to check that they are fully seated. On occasion there will be flux or other residue left in the bottom of a socket that will prevent full seating. Fixing that can require anything from a bit more force seating the modules to using alcohol or other solvents to clean them out.

Paul