Re: [probably OT] how to switch between wired and wireless

I have a similar set up here, well, not here, at home. It's slightly complex. I use DHCP to assign a fixed IP address no matter what interface I'm using. If I want to switch from one interface to another manually I do "ifdown ethN; ifup ethM" (N and M being 0 and 1, but not necessarily in that order). Mostly I don't need to do that since I either have wireless or wired available but not both. Since I keep the same IP address, I can even maintain a TCP connection while I'm swapping hardware -- it looks odd, but it works. Well, it did the one time I've actually done that. It's great there was a file transfer pootling along at, oh, perhaps as much as a megabyte a second and then it suddenly shot up to 9 meg a second when I plugged the wired connection in.

In the office, I have a different IP address and that's hardwired to the same two MAC addresses. There's a slight problem in moving from home to work and vice versa -- applications tend to read /etc/resolv.conf when they start up and use that to decide which name server to talk to. Unfortunately, the name server at home isn't reachable from work and the name server at work doesn't do recursive queries from outside (and doesn't know about the private network at home). The upshot of that is that I have to restart some applications (e.g. mozilla, rhn-applet-gui, nfs server) when I go from work to home or back again, and sometimes there's enough confusion that it's easier to reboot.

Chris Rouch wrote:

I've just installed a wireless lan card on my laptop (compaq armada M700
running red hat 9). I've set up both interfaces to not start on boot and
to so I can start and stop them as a normal user. So after booting,

ifup eth1 will fire up the wireless link. This works well. The problem
comes if I want to move from wireless to wired or vice versa (e.g if I
move to another part of my apartment where the wireless signal doesn't
reach). In that case, any applications connect over the other lan
connection will hang. The only clean way to switch networks is to
reboot.

I'm using dhcp to get ip addresses, and assigning different ip addresses
to the two lan interfaces.

So, my questions:

How do other people deal with this?
Is giving both interfaces the same ip address a bad thing?
Would it help anyway?

I'd appreciate any help with this.

Thanks and regards,

Chris Rouch

PS This setup (orinico gold card, linksys access point) worked with very
little effort under red hat 9. Just a few minutes configuring the access
point and then everything just worked.