Which disk comes first?

I have a Toshiba notebook with two external drives - a Firewirre 30GB and a
USB 180GB.

I use the USB maybe 1/3 of the time - it's a large box and too big to carry
around.  The Firewire is much smaller and I use it maybe 2/3 of the time.
It's ready for the road.

When both are connected, at boot time the system sees the USB first and places
it at /dev/sda; the firewire then becomes /dev/sdb.  But when only one is
connected - the Firewire - it is loaded at /dev/sda.

The filesystem on the firewire therefore sometimes shows up as /dev/sda5 and
other times as /dev/sdb5, and this makes automount of that filesystem
difficult.

So - is there a way to force the system to always load the Firewire first,
before USB, whether or not the USB is connected?  Alternately, is there a
trick one can use in mount or fstab to load this filesystem at the same place
every time?

OS is Shrike 2.4.20-18.9 (and -13.9).

Rgds,
~>jc ** jeffrey w comer