Re: Kernel messages in system mail.

Both problems were on the laptop.

Jim

--------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------

WARNING: Kernel Errors Present
Error: Illegal request...: 11434Time(s)
Error: Illegalpacket c...: 3Time(s)
Illegal mode for this track or incompatible mediumpacket command error: error=0x51...: 10Time(s)
hdc: packet command error: error=0x51...: 11424Time(s)
hdc: packet command error: status=0x41 { D...: 1Time(s)
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { D...: 11423Time(s)

Don't rely on those summary mails. They are stripped down and
formatted for better readability. What you really want is looking
directly at the kernel log files in /var/log.

Thanks for the advice that /var/log would be more detailed than system mail,

As far as the problems with getting the 2.5.70 kernel to work. The laptop has a lot of partitions. The kernel panicked with /boot(hda1) as / and for /home(hda2) as / - It booted alright whwen the correct / partion was selected. (hda3)

A lot of things needed pushing (manually running dhclient to get an ip). Mozilla would not let me type anything in a message, if I was trying to reply to a message. When I typed anything in the message area of the message, it would not function correctly. (Nothing seemed to happen, had to killall mozilla processes.)
GNOME would freeze at launch. I had to use KDE. For mail, I tried kmail. I couldn't send mail out successfully with sendmail. The receiving of mail was alright, since it is from my ISP's pop3. (Both in moz and kmail)

Switcing to the newly released kernel-2.4.20-18.9 - Everything seems to be back to normal. I haven't ripped any data tracks lately.

Jim