Re: new beta?

Benjamin Vander Jagt wrote:
I still don't understand the version numbering scheme for the Linux
Kernel.  are 2.x kernels unstable if x is an odd number?  I'm just
wondering why 2.2 and 2.4 went up to the 20's, and 2.5 is up to 70 and
have not been seen anywhere...  if it is numbered like that, why not
just have all released ending with 0 (e.g., 2.2.0) be stable and
everything in between be unstable?

THe kernel. Really the only true part of Linux has always used the odd numbers for the developmental phases of the kernel. The numbers after the 2.5.x indicate the times that the kernel has been reviewed and changes accepted into the kernel. 70 is a rather high number for the versioning. But it sounds like it is undergiong a lot of complicated development.

I'm also really confused about the 2.5 kernel itself. what do I need to do to get the thing to boot without locking up? it doesn't panic, it just lists the first few lines of info and stops...on several of my systems.

I got every package that was kernel related from rawhide. Including a program called netdump, which scared the heck out of me. I can compile a working kernel by running make defconfig, then make xconfig. I choose my processor type, add my sound card and ethernet as part of the kernel vs. using a module for an always active device. Then I ran make bzImage followed by make modules and make modules_install.

I manually edit the boot loader information. I use real device names and don't use labels. I also don't use an initrd image file.

I read the instructions on getting the 2.5 kernel to work, but I can't
figure it out.  it looks like just about the same process as for the
2.4, and all the 2.4 kernels I compile work fine.  is there something
special about getting the 2.5 to work, like some option I have to select
in menuconfig?  it won't work as preconfigured nor with any of the
changes I made...

There is a readme.txt file that someone sent the link to earlier. It tells you the options that you should change, in order to get the kernel to function.

I believe that modutils from rawhide and the needed dependent programs, need to be updated.

I have the 2.5.68 running on my desktop. The laptop is a different story. I have to upgrade ther modutils and their dependent programs. The kernel panicked and did not boot. It didn't tear up the filesystem though. I believe that it tailed the reasons for the panic.

I saw a 2.5.44 kernel RPM, and I installed it and my system never booted again. *sob* actually, all I had to do was make the boot partition again and shove the 2.4.18 back in...

Where did you come across the RPM for the 2.5.44 kernel? I might be interested in trying to see how that many revs back, it worked.

I'm running an nptl kernel, from rawhide, on my laptop now. It seems that grip works twice as fast as it did with the phoebe stock kernels. Whatever features that were added to the rawhide kernel have seemed to increase machine speed, twofold.

good luck,

Jim

PS - I'm not really into compiling programs much. I have compiled a lot of different kernels. The 2.5 series is one of the most difficult versions to compile. I hope Linus does put out a 2.6 pre-release version soon. It would be great if it was out for the next beta cycle, as someone mentioned earlier.

--
Never let your schooling interfere with your education.