Re: new beta?

I still don't understand the version numbering scheme for the Linux
Kernel.  are 2.x kernels unstable if x is an odd number?  I'm just
wondering why 2.2 and 2.4 went up to the 20's, and 2.5 is up to 70 and
have not been seen anywhere...  if it is numbered like that, why not
just have all released ending with 0 (e.g., 2.2.0) be stable and
everything in between be unstable?

I'm also really confused about the 2.5 kernel itself.  what do I need to
do to get the thing to boot without locking up?  it doesn't panic, it
just lists the first few lines of info and stops...on several of my
systems.

I read the instructions on getting the 2.5 kernel to work, but I can't
figure it out.  it looks like just about the same process as for the
2.4, and all the 2.4 kernels I compile work fine.  is there something
special about getting the 2.5 to work, like some option I have to select
in menuconfig?  it won't work as preconfigured nor with any of the
changes I made...

I saw a 2.5.44 kernel RPM, and I installed it and my system never booted
again.  *sob*  actually, all I had to do was make the boot partition
again and shove the 2.4.18 back in...