Re: Notebook & NIC Not Recognized by RH9

Colburn said:
[snip]
> Now I cannot see either my modem or nic.  Sigh.
>
> Built-in ??? (winmodem) 56k V.90/V.92 Data/Fax Modem
> Built-in Broadcom 10/100/1000 BaseT Ethernet w/RJ-45 Jack

Which Broadcom chipset?  I've seen some messages on the Linux-Dell-List
for the Broadcom 4401 which isn't supported by default by Red Hat, but
there is a driver available.  Check out
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/G.Wilford/Inspiron8500/ .

> If I could at least get the nic working I could connect at work, and try
> to network to my desktop & its modem here at home.  (I am guessing I may
> need to update the stock RH9.)
[snip]
> Anyone have a CD that contains everything contained in all of the
> updates from RedHat since the stock release of 9?  It would be worth
> $10. to me to save the hassle of trying to chase them down.

FWIW, all the updates are available on update.redhat.com, more
specifically for Shrike, ftp://updates.redhat.com/9/en/os/ .  The easiest
way to do the update would be just drop the RPM in /var/log/up2date.  If
you are doing multiple machines, check out the "-k" option for up2date.

If your just more interested in getting a CD rather than having to
download them, you might check out the Red Hat based "Krud Linux"
(http://www.tummy.com/krud).  It looks like their update CD comes in at
$11.

--
William Hooper