Sharing large files with W2K or WinXP

This is probably slightly off-topic for this list, but I know there's some good people reading this list.

I want to share large files -- files too big to fit in a FAT32 file system -- between Windows (2K or XP) and Linux. I use NTFS to store them on Windows at the moment, but access to them from Linux is somewhat limited.

Now, I know that I could build a kernel with NTFS write access enabled, but I'm rather loathe to do that considering that NTFS write access is generally regarded as, shall we say, somewhat dangerous. NFS and Samba aren't, I'm afraid, an option since (a) it takes forever to copy a 15Gb file across the network and (b) (more to the point) NFS and Samba require both machines to be up at the same time and this is a dual-boot machine I'm talking about!

Does anyone have a solution to this kind of problem?

thanks
jch