Re: recognizing my ntfs with RH9?

On Friday 11 July 2003 10:16, Shannon Barrett wrote:
> hey all
>
> names shannon, i'm the resident new kid in town.
>
> i just got RH9 installed to dual boot with winxp on my
> new dell I5100. so far, it's running like a champ,
> except i'm not able to access my XP file system... not
> even read access.
>
> so far i've added the partition to fstab and have
> tried the usual:
>
> mount  /dev/hdc2 /winXP
>
> but it keeps coming back saying that ntfs aren't
> recognized...

Red Hat does not support NTFS.  It's well documented.  It has to do with
Licensing among other things.

You can find and install read only support for NTFS but it's not recommended
and is officially advised against as data corruption is a high probability.

Best thing to do is either reinstall xp to a fat32 partition, if that can be
done.  (frankly I don't know, never fooled with xp to amount to anything) or
establish a data partition which is fat32 to place shared files on.

Or you can trade it for a goat and shoot the goat.  (my personal favorite when
it comes to xp)

Joebewan