Re: sm-client - where to read about it.

"Cowles, Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> The sm-client in sendmail, where can I read about it.
>> What it does, what its supposed to do etc.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Where can I get the full story?
>
> Search for MSP -or- MAIL SUBMISSION PROGRAM in the cf/README file.

Thanks.  Yes, it tells a little about it.  Pretty confusing calling
it a mail submission program, using msp in conf files and then naming it
sm-client.  Looks like they would at least have used msp-client for
the recognition factor.

Also, though thankfull for the information, its pretty skimpy.  One
thing I wondered was if one would expect to see more than on instance
of it running.. Like does each user run it.  I think my redhat init
script is starting it repeatedly by not killing it on restarts.  Or
some other mechanism.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail looks for the pid in the wrong place
/var/run, when sm-client places its pid in /var/spool/clientqueue by
default.  So /etc/rc.d/init.d/generates a phony one in /var/run with
touch.

Not sure I'm following the whole thing though.