Re: anyone interested in a separate mailing list for the 2.6 kernel?

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 07:08:12PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   given the recent interest here in the 2.5.xx kernel, and the upcoming
> > beta release for 2.6:
> >
> > is there any interest in asking RH to create a new mailing list
> > just for that topic?  i emailed the RH list admin to ask about it,
> > but figured i'd ask here to see if there's enough interest to
> > make it worthwhile.
>
> I wouldn't expect Red Hat to create the mailing list since it's not
> currently Red Hat specific.  Once Red Hat has released a 2.5.x or 2.6
> kernel to rawhide, maybe, but right now they don't even have one
> available.

  the fact that RH hasn't *officially* released a 2.5 kernel RPM
hasn't stopped a bunch of us from playing with it, and exchanging
advice on how to get it working properly under RH.  i just thought
it would be nice to not clutter up one of the main mailing lists
with any more of the discussion.

  and, anyway, one of red hat's own has made available 2.5 RPMs
at http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5.

  and with the beta of 2.6 allegedly imminent, i can't imagine
a good argument to *not* start such a list.

  but, if that's the case, as we've already seen, there's at least
one volunteer who's willing to create such a list if RH is not
interested.  and i can most likely do it myself as well, if need
be.

rday

--

Robert P. J. Day