Re: Folder Missing

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 16:29, John Rosich wrote:
> I had about 200 '.zip' files and folders (25GB of data) in a desktop
> folder. Included were text, png/jpg, doc, midi, pdf and similar work
> product files.
>
> The system was shut down last night. In clicking the folder to open it
> this morning, it disappeared from the desktop and can't be found. I
> moved in and out of it in the past without any problems.
>
> Using RedHat 9 (updated with latest RHN changes), KDE 3.1.2 and ALSA
> sound drivers.
>
> What happened?

You will need to tell us.  You provide no information that can help
discern the course of events.  You could have deleted the folder,
you may have moved the folder, ... lots of possibilities. One of
the reasons GUI interfaces are a two-edged sword; it is rather
trivial to slip with the mouse and drop a lot of stuff into a trash can.

 How do I recover this folder?

Smart-alec reply: restore from backups.
Best reply:  restore from backups.
Reply to desperate user:  use find to search for the contents to
   see if they are still on disk.  If so, you can discern to where
   the folder got moved.  I am not sure about KDE, have not used it
   for a couple of years, but the desktop will start as a subdirectory
   under your home dir; you could find that and then walk through
   that subdir for clues.

- rick warner