Re: /usr/src and mounting /usr read-only

>   my point was that, once i have my box set up pretty much
> the way i want, i can mount /usr RO

Try making /etc readonly also, but /etc/mtab will make troubles.

> 1) i can't accidentally damage anything, even as root

If you don't trust root, make regular CD-R backups.

> 2) there's not much need for journalling at this point

Journalling filesystems don't write journal while reading data.

> after all, at this point, i could even support /usr off of
> a CD with an ISO9660 filesystem (no, i have no intention of
> doing that, but it's theoretically possible.)  is there a
> linux-supported read-only filesystem that is designed for
> pure speed?

It would be hard to update system, need to rebuild RO image of /usr from RW original after each change.
Run readonly benchmarks of filesystems (for example ext2, ext3, reiserfs, ufs, jfs, udf) and select one with best readonly performance.