Re: /usr/src and mounting /usr read-only

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Anton wrote:

> >   anyone else set things up this way?  comments?  potential
> > drawbacks?  something horrific i've overlooked?
>
> With readonly /usr package installation will fail.
> You will have to remount it RW to install rpms.

  i realize that, i figured that was obvious so i never
mentioned it.

  my point was that, once i have my box set up pretty much
the way i want, i can mount /usr RO which has a couple
of benefits:

1) i can't accidentally damage anything, even as root
2) there's not much need for journalling at this point

  in addition, if i plan on making only occasional changes,
should i even consider a totally different filesystem structure,
which does away with the overhead of supporting changes?
after all, at this point, i could even support /usr off of
a CD with an ISO9660 filesystem (no, i have no intention of
doing that, but it's theoretically possible.)  is there a
linux-supported read-only filesystem that is designed for
pure speed?

  mostly, i was curious whether it was realistic to run
a system this way, and so far, everything seems fine.

rday

--

Robert P. J. Day
Eno River Technologies