Re: kernels, header files, modules and a read-only /usr

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 07:52, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2003, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > ANYTHING that requires the headers from the currently running kernel
> > needs to use the
> > /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
> > directory.
>
> ok, good.  that suggests that there's no need for the kernel source
> to be under /usr/src, so i can move it.  and building a new kernel
> and modules should create the appropriate symlink under /lib/modules
> so that everything still works.
>
> rday

I've built all the modules and the bzImage, using a regular account and
having the source under my regular home directory. The make
modules_install had to be a priveleged user though and of course editing
grub, etc.

If you ran make rpm or any other out of the older conventional make
commands, the file permissions of some files would be intermixed and a
regular user could not edit certain files within the source directory.

It is possible to use other than usr/src for the directory. You just
have to be cautious to the user permissions, within the source
directory.

My experience anyway.

Jim