Re: "respawning too fast" error message help

On Thursday 03 July 2003 18:57, gotten uttered:
> Hello, i am new in this list:
> I am running RHL 9, shrike, apparently my PC didn't shutdown clean and
> after the integrity check in the boot sequence it keeps saying "INIT Id "5"
> respawning too fast " and says its going totry again in 5 minutes, this is
> the same in Id "3" and Id "4"  i have read the MAN about init and I  saw
> the /etc/inittab file Id "5" is : "mingetty tty5"
> as you can imagine i can only open tty1 and tty2
> i want to repair this without reinstalling, any ideas?
> thanks for your time
> oh, and sorry for my poor english

SOunds like X can't start for some reason.  Do you use nvidia drivers, and did
this reboot just happen to be the first reboot since updating to the errata
kernel?  If so, you'll have to rebuild/install the nvidia drivers.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: