Re: errors installing glibc update errata by hand

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 08:37, Oisin Feeley wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2003, Mike Chambers wrote:
> >
> > Looks like you need to remove the older version.  Also, did you
> > install/upgrade a i386 version of glibc instead of i686 or whatever arch
> > your system is?
>
> Hmmm.  I'll check that as I foolishly didn't consider it.  The system

It's one of the most common problem reports with RPM-based
distributions, related to upgrades to system packages.
Reformulating: you're not alone. :-)

> was freshly installed and I thought it was using i386 rpms, but I didn't
> check so it's a possible problem.  Isn't it possible to install i386
> rpms on an i686 system though?  I thought that i386 rpms were a sort of
> safe "lower common denominator" and always a safe bet to install if one
> wasn't sure.

i686 means "PentiumPro and above".
i586 means "Pentium".
athlon means... well... i guess Athlon/Duron and above.
On the website which provided you the updated packages, check the i686
or the athlon directories to see what architecture-optimized packages
are available (and USE THEM accordingly).

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith