Re: HP 712 network printing

Bob,

>> Is anyone using an HP 712C for printing on a small network? <<

I have no first hand info on that printer.

But, I always start my printer adventures at:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/

They have a searchable database of linux printers. I searched for the HP DeskJet 712C and it returned:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_712C

Which says:

>> Color inkjet printer, max. 600x600 dpi, works Perfectly
>> Printer does not support PJL.
>> Known autodetection methods: Parallel Port.
... and much more. ...

I've had no luck making HP printers do undocumented things on a network. (but I'd love to be wrong)

OTOH, every Epson I've tried has done what I wanted. (all had parallel ports not USB) Even when the printer came with a very windows specific driver/status monitor, the Epson web site had a driver w/o status monitor that would print to nearly any server -- even netware.

Specific Epson printer comments on request.

Cliff Kent