HP 712 network printing

Is anyone using an HP 712C for printing on a small network?  HP concurs
it won't work connected to a WIN box using Samba.  It just gives an
error message on the WinMe box when tried.  I can't get it to print when
using CUPS  and connected to the Linux box either.  WinMe recognizes the
printer on the Linux box but printing just goes to the WinMe print queue
and stays there.  I've RTFMs and they are not completely worthless, they
can be used as a bad example.  That's a little strong but they are too
general and don't have any suggestions on the best course of action.  If
the 712 is incompatible, what are some low end printers that will work?
Bob