Re: Sendmail Error

Christos E. Chrisostomidis wrote:

I have set-up all user accounts (in the mailer) using the command:

useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null -m username

so users do not have shell access to the server.
So yes John, all my users point to /dev/null as a home directory.
However, I don't want my users to have shell access (for security
reasons)
Is any other way creating users with no shell access ?

They don't have a shell, well, they do, it's /bin/false and much good may it do them :-) You've set the home *directory* to a file though which doesn't make much sense. Don't set the home directory at all and don't specify "-m" that way the home directory won't be created. I usually use

useradd -s /bin/true -c "Mr User" username

Generally speaking /bin/true isn't in /etc/shells as well, which is what you usually want.

Or it is safer (from security point of view) to use:

DontBlameSendmail=forwardfileinunsafedirpath,forwardfileinunsafedirpaths
afe

as Scott mentioned ??

If sendmail is warning you about a security problem the right thing to do is fix the problem, not turn off the warning. You don't fix a tendancy to lock your keys in your house by disabling the lock do you? Or leave you car unlocked and wire a switch in so that you don't need to remember your keys. Security warnings are there for a reason, don't turn them off *unless* you know exactly what you are doing, why you are doing it and exactly why the security risks can be tolerated. And then don't do it :-)

jch