Re: how do I edit my XF86Config file while in runlevel 3?

On 4/30/2003 at 4:03 PM Elton Woo wrote:

>I'm about to install the nVidia drivers on my system. However, I must
>confess that I'm more of a GUI user than a "command-line guru". The
>installation instructions require that I re-edit my /etc/X11/XF86 Config
>file *before* booting into X. Could someone guide me on what/how to
>do this? (Dummy-level instructions, please!)
>
>I think my previous failures in installing the dirvers are related to my
>editing the file *after* booting into the GUI desktop.
>
>TIA
>
>Elton ;-)
>--

Well, you should learn to use vi at the command line, and not depend on the
gui, because if the gui ever gets hosed, that's the best why to fix it. I
digress.

The file you want is /etc/X11/XF86Config. To open it in vi, you would just
type:
vi /etc/X11/XF86Config

The file will open, and you just use your keyboard to move to the appropriate
section. Press insert to enter insert mode to add your changes.
Typing ZZ (that's holding the shift key and hitting z twice) will write your
changes and close the file. <esc><shift>:q! will exit and close without writing
changes.
find vi commands here: http://www.chem.brown.edu/instructions/vi.html

If you still prefer the gui crutch then type emacs /etc/X11/XF86Config & at the
prompt to edit the file.

You'll also probably want to do this as root, to be sure your changes are
written, and it's always a good idea to make a backup of the file first.

regards,

shane.