Re: textbox and file dialog strangeness with netscape 4.8

Nils Nieuwejaar <oldmanmtn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Since to RH 9, I've been having trouble with Netscape 4.8

>When I open the "Save Image As..." or "Save Link As..." menu item, the
>default directory is always /.  When I type a filename in the textbox,
>the saved file has lots of extra characters at the end of the filename.

Yes, I'd noticed that one.  I seem to get better behaviour if I unset
the LANG environment variable before starting Netscape or set it to en_GB.
By default LANG was set to en_GB.UTF-8 and apparently Netscape 4 doesn't
understand UTF-8.

I'd also noticed that xawtv took ten times longer to start on RH9 than RH8,
with most of the time being burnt up by the X font server.  Again, unsetting
LANG helped a lot:  it now only takes twice as long.

I must say I'm not impressed with the general performance of RH9.  It
doesn't feel as snappy as previous versions.  For stability and performance
RH 7.3 is still my favourite.

Ron