Re: Intermittent issues logging out/rebooting/shutting down

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:51:52 -0500
Gerry Tool <gstool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> > Here's the problem: sometimes (not all the time), when I either log
> > out, reboot or shutdown (from the GUI, not from a terminal window),
> > I'll hit the ok or yes button to signify that I do want to log out,
> > reboot or shutdown.  But instead of doing what I ask, the monitor
> > goes blank (with absolutely no warning or error messages) and the
> > green light by the power switch changes color to the color that it
> > becomes when it has no signal going into it.  At this point, all I
> > can do it hit the reset button and reboot.  But when I do, it always
> > says that I shut down uncleanly.  (I am running ext3, and I am glad
> > that I do, because I can just imagine all the wasted time I would
> > have had with this problem if I had been running a non-journalling
> > filesystem :))
> >
> > I have also discovered, that I think that I have had almost perfect
> > success rebooting and shutting down when I do "reboot" or "halt"
> > from the command line.

> > One more thing.  The "Intermittent" part comes in because sometimes
> > Red Hat 9 will log out/reboot/halt correctly even from a gui.
>
> As a test, edit your XF86Config file and comment out the line
>
> Load "dri"
>
> I had this problem with my Radeon 7500 card in Phoebe and in Mandrake
> 9.1.
>   I have not experienced it in RHL9.
>
> Gerry Tool

Hello, Gerry :)
I apologize that I forgot to mention that I did exactly what you
suggested in the above quoted message when I saw that same fix in a
message a few days ago.  It seemed to work for a few days, but now
everything's back to the way it was, the issue with logging
off/rebooting/halting and the issue of hanging after responding to the
password prompt when "su"ing into root.

I do thank you though for your help :)
Steven P. Ulrick