Re: wine package for redhat 9

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 20:01, Michael Smith wrote:
> anyone got wine compiled and working for rh9? or know where to find it?
> I don't care about that export workaround... if that's not included it's
> fine...
>
> BTW, does anyone know when Wine team is going to start adressing that
> problem?

They already have begun, but my opinion is that it is too much work to
get the open source version to work properly with many applications.

I tried CrossOver Office 2.0 yesterday and it works amazingly well on my
RH9 laptop.  (I needed Internet Explorer 6.0 in order to figure out a
problem with my university's online registration system.)

I heard good things about WineX 3.0 too.

The Open Source wine can usually be tweaked to do a lot of what the
non-free wine distributions do, but to me it takes too much time and
isn't worth it for my personal machine.  I rather let these polished and
low cost wine distributions do the hard part for me, so I have time to
work on more important things.  CrossOver and WineX *just work* in many
cases.  That's just my opinion though.

(There are however times where I do feel studying and tweaking wine to
run a particular program is well worth the effort.  A local school here
will soon be using Wine to run a Windows-only english language tutor
software within a Linux computer lab.  In order to save the school money
and not buy CrossOver, I plan on tweaking free Wine to run that
particular program.)

Warren