Mouse type needs to be set on each KDE startup

On each startup of the RHL desktop (set to KDE) I have re-identify my
mouse type.

On startup the mouse is in a really flaky state.  It jumps around the
screen when moved, opens menu I didn't select, and just in general is
useless (and dangerous - it self-selected an icon, which I then
unintentionally deleted).  If I go to the mouse configuration (navigating
the menus with the keyboard) and select one of several types, all is
well.  The mouse will act as it should until the next startup.

My mouse is a Microsoft Intellimouse.  This is a wheeled mouse, with the
wheel being a 3rd button, on a PS/2-type connector.

I've tried configuring it as a "Microsoft Intellimouse", as a "Generic
PS/2 mouse" and as a "Generic Wheeled mouse"  I've configured it from a
text-mode terminal and from the GUI config application.

In all cases the behavior is the same: in a text-mode terminal (that is,
via gpm) the mouse works, regardless of configured type.  In a graphical
environment it won't work until explicitly reconfigured.

One more thing.  This is on a notebook, a notebook with a built-in
touchpad.  The behavior of the touchpad is just as flakey as the mouse,
though it doesn't seem to be cured by selecting any mouse type that I've
tried.

Any advice on how to get the mouse to stay configured?

Thanks.