Re: Manually configuring modem line

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 05:14:36PM -0400, Christopher Wong wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Jeff Kinz wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 01:15:47PM -0400, Christopher Wong wrote:
> > > How does one manually configure a modem line in RH9? This used to be
> > > done using control-panel. I don't actually have a modem hooked up to
> > > the line so kudzu will not work here. I want the serial port
> > > configured to talk to the UPS in APC's "simple signalling mode", and
> > > the docs indicate that modem mode is the way to go.
> >
> > Hi Chris,
> > So what happens if you pretend the UPS is a modem and let kudzu have a run at
> > it?  Anything? Good or Bad?

Did your UPS come with any Linux based software to make your linux box
UPS-aware or UPS-friendly?

Look at chapter 5 in the doc I linked you to in my last email.  It contains
tons of infor about how to configure the serial ports.  Your UPS probably
raise or lowers one of the typical modem control signals of the serial port
to signal that power has been lost and you now have <n> minutes/seconds to
shutdown the system etc..

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@xxxxxxxx
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an