Re: Help - have I been hacked

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 02:24:05PM -0700, Richard wrote:
> I wonder looking at that thread if anyone actually saw or did a serious
> survey on cracked linux boxes.. etc..

Honeypots have been built and cracked.

> Has there been any serious studies conducted by RH as to the whole
> security of their distros, recorded events of boxes that were cracked ?

Yup - it's a well-proven fact that if you do not keep your system up to
date, you will likely be hacked.

> In fact is there anyone on the list who ever had his box cracked ?

Not me personally, but 2 systems at the company I work for have been
cracked. The first was in the process of being installed on an external
subnet.  The system was installed and the admin went home, expecting to
run up2date in the morning.  It was hacked before he came in.  The 2nd
system was installed and not updated.  It was an ftp server running
wu-ftpd and didn't have recent patches applied (in fact, it was at least
6 months after the patch came out that I heard he'd been hacked).

I see regular scans against my home system of people trying to get in.
I saw them back on my 56k days, and see them more often on my cable
modem.  The Linksys firewall blocks most of the activity but I see the
attempts that make it through to the open services where other doors
shut them out.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx