textbox and file dialog strangeness with netscape 4.8

Since to RH 9, I've been having trouble with Netscape 4.8

When I pull up Google, the search textbox extends way off the right
edge of the window.  The first time I enter a search term, it works
correctly. If I "Back" back to the google front page, the textbox appears
to be empty.  When I type in a new search term, the original term is
appended to the new term.

When I get a password challenge box, anything I enter into either "user"
or "password" has extra characters appended.

When I open the "Save Image As..." or "Save Link As..." menu item, the
default directory is always /.  When I type a filename in the textbox,
the saved file has lots of extra characters at the end of the filename.

mozilla appears to work fine.  It's just painfully slow, which is why I
generally stick with netscape 4.