RH9 mount / as rw at boot time

Hi,
I just upgaded RH9 from RH7.0 and after the installation
finished sucessfully, fsck drops in an error at boot time
because it says that the / (root) partition is mounted in
read/write (rw) mode.

I edited rc.sysinit to do a "cat /proc/mounts" just before
the fsck code and the root fs is indeed mounted as rw.

In grub.conf I have the "ro" parameter passed to the kernel
and I can verify that the kernel received the ro via
cat /proc/cmdline

Right now I have patched rc.sysinit in order to use the server.

How can I solved this problem? And why the kernel is mounting
my root partition as rw at boot time?

Many thanks
Oliver
--