Re: Problems with sym53c8xx during install?

Chris,

I have a tekram 390u2w and the shrike (clean) install went smoothly. Redhat 9 automatically loaded the sym53c8xx driver. Previously I was using rh8 and it worked fine as well.

You have, however, reminded me of a past act of stupidity. In the distant past (rh7.2 or 7.3 - I can't remember anymore) I did have to use the ncr driver since the sym53c8xx was hanging my computer on boot. One day, however, when adding a second hd I noticed I hadn't terminated the scsi chain! After I put the terminator on the cable, the sym53c8xx driver worked fine with the drives. I don't know why the ncr driver worked in that situation, but that was my experience with it. Hope this is of some use to you.

Cheers,
Matthew James

Chris Adams wrote:

Is anyone else having a problem with the installer and Symbios cards?
I'm trying to upgrade an old server with dual 875 chips on the mboard
and two Tekram cards with 895 chips installed, and it always hangs
during the SCSI bus scan on the first Tekram card it hits (I've tried
taking one out to see if that was a problem but no change).

I've tried both the sym53c8xx and sym53c8xx_2 modules as well as
building a new bootdisk with kernel-BOOT-2.4.20-9 (and corresponding
modules), all with the same results.

I've opened Bugzilla #89593 on this as well.

The weird thing is that this server ran 6.1 for years, and I also was
able to install 8.0 on it with no trouble.