Re: a few questions about RH9.0

Klaasjan Brand wrote :

> > > Use apt-get and let someone else have root access on your machine.
> > > You are aware that every rpm you install can contain scripts which
> > > run as root? It's just a question of who you trust more, Red Hat or
> > > the freshrpms (+ every other apt source you specify) people...
> >
> > 	I'd trust Matthias' rpms as much as those from RHN.  But I've had
> > experience with him as a RH mirror.  It's true that there's a very real
> > security issue with how rpm works but freshrpms and falshope have been
> > quite reliable over the years.
>
> I'm not trying to make freshrpms look bad, as I'm a happy user myself ;)
> but I triggered on the "no worries" a few posts back. I think everyone
> should at least make a conscious decision before adding "untrusted"
> binaries to their system.
> Anyway, I tend to trust Redhat a bit more since they have commercial
> interests in keeping their distribution "clean". I don't expect anybody
> in the open-source community trying to install back doors on systems,
> but who guarantees some rpm server far away won't be hacked into?

Well, trust is indeed a concern in this case. And in general, I find social
engineering, which includes 'trust', to be by far the bigest threat to any
user or system administrator.

I don't have any commercial interest in not packaging trojans, although I
_can_ guarantee I'll never do so intentionally! ;-)

Maybe I should put a big "freshrpms.net, quality packages started during
the last milennium" slogan? Nah. I prefer relying on transparency, being
available, and "mouth to ear" recommendations.

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.54
Load : 0.98 0.58 0.47