Re: a few questions about RH9.0

> On each boot it seems that my /ect/fstab gets recreated by the
> "Checking for new hardware" script. How can I add mountpoints to it
> permanently?

You have probably made an error in your fstab modifications. If you look in /etc/ you probably have a file called "fstab.revoke". This means what you added was revoked and removed. Fix the errors in your fstab and everything should work fine.

I have switched to using apt-get with synaptic. You can find instructions for it at http://freshrpms.net. This allows you to manage rpms from redhat as well as from other sources (like freshrpms). It works very nicely and you dont have to pay for the RHN service to not get a "busy signal". You don't get the account management tools the RHN account provides but if you are running a single computer you probably don't need them.

> I have an onboard soundcard, and in mdk9 it works fine, but they use
> ALSA, with the snd-via8233 module.
> Has anyone got this work in Shrike? (My board is a Gigabyte VAX7-1394)

You can get alsa drivers for redhat-9 from freshrpms.net. use apt-get/synaptic to install them and keep them updated.

> This works in the grub configuration: > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi vga=0x318 > But why doesn't this work? > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=/dev/hdb3 hdd=ide-scsi vga=0x318

Make sure that /dev/hdb3 is actually your root partition mounted as "/". If you are having problems with this it is likely that it is not the same. You would have to let us know what errors you are getting. Also, if the LABEL method works fine just use that one. it is easier to remeber.

> // personal comment follows
> The rhnsd runs as root, basically that means Redhat have root-access
> to my system... Luckily they're not M$... And logged into the
> redhat-network on the web I can trigger software installs/uninstalls
> on my system...
> Very nice, well, trust RH 100%, or keep ur system up to date
> manually...

RHN provides some nice features if you need to use them. But most people don't need them. Use apt-get/synaptic and have no worries.

Hope this helps.

-John Zimmerman
 zimmejoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx