Re: Need help selecting a Webcam

<ranting and raving mode>
The webcam market is still largely in hands by companies who think profits are better than service-offering and as far as I know there is no webcam available with Linux support from the manfacturer. Boo Hiss.
</ranting and raving mode>

Most webcams use two chips, the USB Bridge chip and the sensor chip. Both need to be supported for the camera to work. I would suggest figuring out the chipsets in the cameras.
A very popular USB chip is the Sunplus spca50* chipset, found in many camera's. The website for the SPC50x linux driver is at:
http://spca50x.sourceforge.net/

On the same page is a list of supported cameras as well as full instructions on how to get it to work.

I hope it helps you out a little.

Eric.

Cliff Kent wrote:

All,

I'm in the process of setting up a RH9 workstation on a K7/1333 for a valued client. He says he's ready to "give up on" both Windows and Macs. So, I'm doing my homework in order to ensure a smooth transition.

One of his requirements is "video conferencing" as in Netmeeting, GnomeMeeting, and the H.323 protocol suite. It looks like GnomeMeeting is the right software and I'm looking for the right webcam.

I've tried several cameras. One old printer port camera worked - but not well. And, I've tried several USB Logitech QuickCams that did not work at all since they are unsupported models.

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/devices.php provided a list of supported cameras, which I printed and went shopping. Not many of the supported cameras were actually available.

So, my question to you all is:
Which cameras work well and/or which ones should be avoided?

TIA,

Cliff Kent