Re: java install (was bash/terminal)

>Subject: Re: bash/terminal issue
>From: Patrick <shrike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Date: 27 Apr 2003 03:14:41 +0200
>

>> I am still concerned over my console.
>> I have found that I can still do most stuff from the bash command line
>> anyway, but not everything.
>
>There is nothing you can *not* do from the command line if you are root
>except turn Bill Gates in a Gnome (under development).

Can't run /sbin/ifup as user, which I could before.
Say, now come to think of it...Did I read somewhere that Shrike was
changing the default terminal application?

>> For instance, in the old console I could run /sbin/ifup as a user,
>> but bash tells me that only root can do it.
>> When I first upgraded I had no trouble doing it, but second log in and since
>> I have had this issue.
>>

>> Also, continuation of an issue I had with Psyche.  I have downloaded and installed
>> the latest jre from sun, but openoffice.org didn't recognize it on install.
>> If I try to install it again, rpm tells me that it is installed already.
>> Dunno if this is an OOo issue or OS issue.
>
>How did you install the jre?

I downloaded the rpm.bin
I "su"ed
I CDed to the directory it was in and did:
$ sh j2relongiflename.rpm.bin
Which gave me the .rpm
I did
$ rpm ivh j2relongfilename.rpm

Was it an rpm or the tarball? Did you
>follow everything in the README, INSTALL, other instructional documents
>of both the jre and OOo packages?

I'm afraid that I only got the rpm for the jre, no readme or documentation.
Except, there was a bunch of text that came up when I did the install, and, alas,
I am afraid that I heeded it but little.  As is often the case, it was not in
English, but Geeklish, with which I have still little facility.

I downloaded the OO packages and untarred them and ran the setup and install scripts.  In prior incarnations (7.2, 7.3 with OOo 1.0.0) that was sufficient.

Did you export the java directory so
>it is in your path so OOo can find it during install?

Aha!  We're getting somewhere!
What you are saying makes no sense to me, therefore,
It must be important!  Obviously, since I don't comprehend, I did not do that.
I'm afraid that "export so it is in my path" confuses me.
Which path?  You'll have to excuse me.  I'm a bit of a newbie,
having only been using Linux for about a year now.  It seems
that I have learned much in some areas, but am still totally clueless in others.

If you do "echo
>$PATH" from the command line (without the quotes) does the java dir show
>up in your path?

Okay, I did echo $PATH and I got
/use/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

Should the java be in there somewhere too?
How do I export it so it is in the path?

Not much to go on here.

>If you ask questions it is more helpful to be more precise what you
>*exactly* did (describe commands literally, as root or not, and what the
>results where (cut 'n past the relevant output from the command line).

Well, I'm trying.  I appreciate all the assistance I get.  I do feel badly
when I know I am asking vague questions, but sometimes I don't even know where
to look or how much of what info is relevant, even.  I appreciate when someone
with your obvious patience is kind enough to reply and ask me the relevant
questions.
Should I run the whole install again so I can cut-n-paste something into a message?  Or is there a way to simply alter my present installation so that
it is "in my path"?

>The quality of the answers you may get is directly related to the info
>you give. Old adagium: garbage in, garbage out.

Stop picking on my diet.
Pizza, Doritos and doughnuts are all good food.
I don't care what the "experts" say.

>Cheers,
>Patrick

Thanks,