Re: RBL blocking of rogers.com valid user e-mail addresses?

This is a private message for R P Herrold (please don't read it)

Sorry Russ, I cannot email you directly because:

The original message was received at Sat, 26 Apr 2003 07:29:42 +0800 (CST)
from 218-167-184-211.HINET-IP.hinet.net [218.167.184.211]

<herrold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

... while talking to mail.owlriver.com.:
>>> RCPT To:<herrold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<<< 553 5.3.0 <herrold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>... SPAMFRIEND
550 <herrold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>... User unknown
reply to your earlier email follows:

I've had troubles with others. I am sure you recall that I wasn't able to
send myself any email while DistroWatch was hosted at colug.net.

Don't blame me for being sceptical, but the usefulness of email as a
communication tool is getting severely limited - not just because of
spammers, but also because of "clever" system administrators. Nowadays, if I
get an enquiry from somebody who wants to advertise on DistroWatch, I'll type
the reply on the local machine and then copy and paste it into mutt on the
DistroWatch server (direct typing on a remote server is not much fun). That's
the only way to make sure that the email actually reaches the customer.
Having to resort to these kinds of workarounds is absolutely pathetic.

> Last week, at one ISP I admin, I have over 70,000 such pieces
> -- how about 70.000 times a week?

>From my experience, about 95% of it can be easily blocked without the need to
block entire domains or IP ranges.

> Your posts are too important for me to miss.  I am involved
> with the www.dsbl.org project, along with Rik van Riel and Ian

Is Rik still working for Conectiva? I've exchanged a few emails with him some
time ago, but not recently.

> maybe worth a distrowatch article.

Check out this one:

P.S: If you get the time to set up www.us.distrowatch.com (and other mirrors),