Re: Redhat 9 can't print to Win2000 shared printer via Cups/Samba?

Tim thanks for the help, but that was not the problem. I had to add an entry for the host in /etc/hosts even though Netbios broadcasts can find the host and name resolution was not a problem originally when I pinged the host with it's netbios name. Just weird behaviour. I had to actually set the share entries manually in printconf (yes I was using forward slashes //host/share). Autodiscovery via the gui still did not see it. Anyways now I can print! :-)

Thanks,

Dan

From: Tim Waugh <twaugh@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Redhat 9 can't print to Win2000 shared printer via Cups/Samba?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:22:49 +0100

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:10:12AM +0000, Dan Genn wrote:

> Yeah I tried that too, but host resolution is not the problem. Even
> if I set the host entry by IP for the SMB print que it still is
> flaky....It's like the Redhat9/Cups/Samba combo is not negotiating
> properly with the printer share on W2K. My W2K box has all patches
> and .net updates....I hope that is not the problem. I even tried
> this using a Knoppix Linux boot CD on the Redhat 9 machine and that
> has the same problem as Redhat 9 trying to connect to the print
> share. I will try this with a WinXP host sharing the printer instead
> and see if W2K is the problem.

Try using forward-slashes ('/') instead of backslashes ('\') when you
set it up manually (if you are using slashes at all).  See bug
#88021.

You could try using the 'smbclient' command directly to see what the
error is, like this:

smbclient //host/share password -W group -N -P -c quit -U user

Tim.
*/
<< attach3 >>