Re: Machine VERY slow with vmware 4.0

Of course, but I think that the problem is more in the kernel than in the hardware.

I found a solution to this problem:
  Run a fresh compiled kernel with Interactivity patches.

The results are outstanding.... Fast, responsive even with high IOs.

With RH9 kernel, when MsDev (under win2k in vmware) was in link phase, making a lot of IOs, Mozilla (under native Linux) took between 3-10 seconds just to refresh a page...
I can confirm this - running a Dell Dimension 4550 with a Pentium 4 2.53GHz. Running Red Hat 7.3 with a custom kernel was fine (heck, even better than fine, that thing was _fast_ - using the Red Hat kernel on 7.3 was out of question, since it didn't know the chipset, so it wouldn't activate DMA for the harddrives).
After switching over to Shrike, any kind of disc activity will slow things down considerably, to the point where I don't even bother trying to use Mozilla while compiling something or while extracting large (>10 GB) tar files. The mouse cursor stops while moving the mouse, typing commands in an xterm is about 3-5 seconds delayed (meaning, I type, and 3-5 seconds later I see what I typed on the screen - makes me feel like back in the days of "cooperative multitasking"). It is _not_ connected to running vmware. Maybe some of the patches Red Hat applies don't like the chipset on that board, or something like that.

Martin