Re: analysis program for disks

Often you will find failure messages in your logs if the kernel detects the
errors. It is always a good idea btw to check those logs (the general log
file is /var/log/messages, and you can also view recent kernel messages by
running 'dmesg').

To test for disk faults (bad sectors) one runs fsck  with the -c flag
(example: fsck -c /dev/hda1). This will not always find every fault however,
since ide disks can re-locate bad sectors automaticly without the software
knowing about it.

Newer IDE  & SCSI disks can also use 'S.M.A.R.T' (Self-Monitoring Analysis
and Reporting Tool). A query tool and a smart monitoring daemon can be found
here: http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/ Using smartd from this package,
it will query the disks every 30 minutes and report any errors in
/var/log/messages.

If you don't want to check the log files every time, it is posible to use
'logwatch' which supports smartd messages and will include any smart
reported errors in its emails.

Ps, please note that this works the same in just about every operating
system .. running the disk/filesystem checker with 'scan for bad sectors'
every once in a while is advisable, and external SMART monitoring tools
exist for almost every operating system too.

G'luck,

    -- Chris