Re: pcmcia, wireless and network problems

In redhat 9 i am not able to fix that and it is a big problem and major
inconvenience because i use 9 different profiles. The problems i am
having is that at boot the wrong modules are being loaded and when i
access neat to configure networking i get error that eth0 has orinoco_cs
loaded instead of 3c59x which is specified in /etc/modules.conf and most
neat networking functionality is broken at that point..It doesn't allow
to do anything other than delete the devices. I tried to trace the bug
but wasn't able to find it. So i have to do the following every time I change my network settings. ifdown eth0
modprobe -d orinoco_cs
modprobe -all
edit the various scripts depending on my current network setup. or just
use iwconfig to start eth1 ifup eth0 ifup eth1
dhcclient

Has anyone encountered these problems?

my /etc/modules.conf  has the following for the network interfaces
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 orinoco_cs

Regards,

I have this same problem with RH9 I I only have two profiles. I have a laptop and use a PCMCIA Ethernet Card for when I am undocked. When I work from the office I use a docking station with a 3COM card 3C59x, as you do. And I face the same issue:

" So the cards are detected and named in the wrong order, eth0 for the 3COM and eth1 for the XIRCOM. This basically causes mayhem and RH will not activate them on boot or on redhat-config-network or ifconfig saying that /etc/modules.conf has incorrectly loaded eth0 with xircom_cb instead of the 3c9x it should, and so forth for eth 1.

Only way around this I've found (I'm a newbie) is to delete all net config using redhat network tool, and readd both NICs in the order of detection. This however causes problems when I use the laptop undocked, again because eth0 is detected as xircom_cb, although /etc/modules.conf (at this point) has it against 3c90x. "

I really have not found any answeres for this yet. The reason for this post is to say : "I feel you pain"

--

*Eduardo Silva*
Wireless Network Engineer