Re: LAN not up

This one time, at band camp, Randy Perkins <randyperkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1)	is this a dual boot system,and if so, does the
> 	network work under 'other' operating system
> if no,n/a or yes,no

Yes, other OS is redhat 8.0 and the ethernet works

> 2)	have you tried another ethernet cable. you aren't using
> 	a crossover cable, do you ??
No, it is plugged into a Hub

> 3)	are you sure you arent plugged into an 'uplink" port ?
yep

> 4)	does your hub/router have a button/switch for uplink ?
yes, but this is vacant

> and
>
> 5)	does your hub/router's lights flash when
> 	there is activity.
 yes

> if so
>
> 6)	a)sitting at the linux computer,when you ping
> 	another computer on the network, do you
> 	see flashing on the port that the linux
> 	machine is plugged into.
yes

> 	b) do  you see flashing on the port that is
> 	the one you are pinging
yes

> 	c) you may want to do this process from 2 computers
> 	that work so you can see how the lights are suppossed
> 	to act when working properly.

everything seems fine, I have set up literally hundreds of LANs using redhat,
this is the first time I have had a problem with basic LAN.

> I am almost out of ideas

Me too :(

Thanks for your time though
Kind regards