SSH defaults

I've been using SSH here to my linux box for quite a while and I like it alot. My question though, how safe am I right out of the box with SSH? I use PuTTY on Windows to connect to my linux box and I never copied the public key over from the linux, so does that mean I'm not using RSA encryption? Does it also mean I'm using insecure rsh to perform my remote logins?

Also, when I ./configure'd my source SSH packages, I didn't have to specify the location of OpenSSL or Zlib. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance guys,
--Mike

Michael R. Creed Jr.
Mega-Byte Computer Services