Re: Getting back the line draw characters

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Curtis Doty wrote:
> 11:20am Christopher Wong said:
>
> >The Unicode changes that Red Hat made in RH 8/9 screws up line drawing
> >characters for apps running on the console. This affects some ordinary
> >apps like mc as well as one of my home-grown apps. How do I get back the
> >correct behavior?
>
> That annoyed the heck out of me, so I just edited /etc/sysconfig/i18n. The
> offending var is LANG and specifically the UFT-8 part.

I found that merely setting LANG in /etc/sysconfig/i18n was not enough
without rebooting. Since I was not eager to reboot, I found that running
unicode_stop did the trick. (On boot, Red Hat runs /sbin/setsysfont that
calls unicode_start if a UTF-8 locale was specified in
/etc/sysconfig/i18n.)

Chris