Re: Nvidia GeForce4 card in a Dell laptop

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 14:04, Margaret_Doll wrote:
>   We just installed RH 9.0 on a dell laptop with a Nvidia GeForce4
> video card.  We took the suggestions for video from the installation
> program.   We ended up with a system whose window just takes up
> the middle third of the available screen.  All the terminal windows
> that open up take up the entire system window.  Nothing is created
> in the black two thirds of the screen surrounding the system window.

Strange ... I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with an NVIDIA GeForce440Go and
an Ultra 1600x1200 display. I have had no problems with X at all, both
using X's nv driver, and NVIDIA's nvidia driver. The problem may be that
you have simply chosen the wrong resolution for your monitor. Most flat
panel displays are designed to be run at only one resolution. Most
likely, given that you have a Dell like I do, 1600x1200 or 1400x1050.

> How do we extend the system window to take up the entire available
> screen?

Try going to System Settings -> Display and changing the resolution to
the one your flat panel is designed to be run at.

HTH, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com