Re: Making a vfat partition writeable by all in `users' group?

> but that suggests mounting everything umask=0, which, if I understand
> it, makes everything world readable and writable. I would like something
> just a *little* bit more secure than that.

The problem is that vfat has no group/user knowledge, so there is no easy
way (that i know of) to use all the security features you are used to when
using ntfs (under nt/2000/xp) or unix file systems (ext2/3,xfs,jfs,etc).
vfat is a 'legacy' file system that dates back a long time and was optimised
for speed & restrictions at the time rather then advanced features.

There's really 2 things i can think of that you can do to solve this..

- Change the mount params (in fstab) to read-only ( add ,ro to params)
- Set the umask to a non-root user and group (get ID's from /etc/groups and
passwd), and add users that u want to give write access to that group..
Sounds like that would be what u want right?

Come to think of it, there might be a 3rd option .. If i remember correctly
there are/were linux distro's that install on vfat partitions and still had
users/groups, and used (kernel?) patches to make this work .. Maybe googling
can turn something up, but if that exists it prob won't be the simple path

G'luck & please include a thanks for ppl who take the time to help please,
they'll apreciate it ;-)

    -- Chris