RE: ATHLON & Shrike - *imperfect* alliance=random lockups?

On one machine, I was seeing all kinds of weird random freeze behaviour,
lockups, EIPs terminating processes, etc...  Around the sixth time one of
these had quietly taken out sendmail and crond, I had finally had enough.
After pulling down and building from a vanilla 2.4.20 kernel, the machine
has been running flawlessly for a little over a week now.  This same machine
ran flawlessly under 8.1 with stock RH kernel and there were zero hw and
bios changes made between 8.1 and 9.

Machine description is a thoroughly unexciting:

Athlon 700 on a Shuttle AI61 motherboard
NVIDIA MX420 (using stock XFree with no 3D -- X gets very little use)
512MB
2x100GB & 80GB drives
48x CD-ROM
Tulip Ethernet card
Ensoniq 1371

The stock 2.4.20 kernel I'm running now is compiled nearly monolithic with
only the USB drivers and input core as modules being that I didn't like
watching rc.sysinit complain about the mouse and keyboard. ;-)

My other Linux machines are Intel-based and have had no problems with stock
RH9.

Now as far as I'm concerned, my problems are solved in that the machine is
stable again, but if this info adds another data point in helping solve the
issue or if anyone needs more info, please let me know.

--
-Jonathan <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>