Building httpd 2.0.45 (From Apache Software)

I installed Red Hat 9 on one of my spare boxes, without the httpd server
that Red Hat packages. I also left out database servers and PHP.

I downloaded httpd-2.0.45 from Apache Software Foundation so I could
build and install it myself. I took lots of code from Red Hat's
httpd.spec file for the Red Hat version of same, adapting it to my needs
so I could install the 2.0.45 build to the same directories.

Apache 2.0.45 references a file called config.layout in it's source tree
to find the installation directories. There are a number of layouts
defined for different operating systems. One of these exists for Red Hat
7.x.

If you change this file, you need to overlay the config.layout files in
these directories:

httpd-2.0.45/srclib/apr
httpd-2.0.45/srclib/apr-util

or configure will exit with an error message that it can't find the
custom layout you specified. Here is the layout I used for my own build.

#   Red Hat Linux 9.0 layout added by Cochran
<Layout RedHatIX>
    prefix:        /etc/httpd
    exec_prefix:   /usr
    bindir:        ${exec_prefix}/bin
    sbindir:       ${exec_prefix}/sbin
    libdir:        ${exec_prefix}/lib
    libexecdir:    ${libdir}/httpd/modules
    mandir:        /usr/share/man
    sysconfdir:    /etc/httpd/conf
    datadir:       /var/www
    installbuilddir: ${datadir}/build
    errordir:      ${datadir}/error
    iconsdir:      ${datadir}/icons
    htdocsdir:     ${datadir}/html
    manualdir:     ${datadir}/manual
    cgidir:        ${datadir}/cgi-bin
    includedir:    ${libdir}/httpd
    localstatedir: /var
    runtimedir:    ${localstatedir}/run
    logfiledir:    ${localstatedir}/log/httpd
    proxycachedir: ${localstatedir}/cache/httpd
</Layout>

My build seems to work fine -- of course I probably made some mistakes,
but that is okay. I can redo it as needed. This was a very good
experience for me, I learned a lot of shell scripting.

Onward to PHP 4.3.x!

--
Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA