[Fwd: Re: ATHLON & Shrike - *imperfect* alliance=random lockups?]

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Benjamin Vander Jagt <benjaminvanderjagt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ATHLON & Shrike - *imperfect* alliance=random lockups?
Date: 20 Apr 2003 14:23:27 -0400

>  >> ... SB Live! series card. ... <<
>
> Interesting. This has been mentioned several times. The Athlon
> Thunderbird 1.333 that I have here is fine with the SB Live! in it.
(The
> MB audio also worked with RH9.) Though I'll admit that I'm not
compiling
> a new kernel while listening to ogg files. Perhaps I should work it
> harder before I deliver it.<g>

>  >> The other major hardware source of instability problems is using
an
> inadequate and/or non-Athlon-certified power supply <<

> I'll second that suggestion! The Athlon chip is a power hog. The
> Thunderbird chips forced me to specify 300+ watt power supplies --
even
> for "simple office machines". A tower with lots of extras needs more.

> This was reinforced when talking with tech support at my hardware >
suppliers.

> ck

whoops, I used the wrong article in my previous reply.  I can't seem to
find the article now, since searches seem to keep bringing up two or
three year old Tom's Hardware Guide articles...

well, I'll find the data if anyone's interested.  it's not hard to
locate.  at any rate, neither chip is a power hog (unless you compare it
to a Cyrix, of course, but that doesn't count, right?)