Re: glut import error in shrike

On 18 Apr 2003, Viktor Hornak wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 10:53, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> On 18 Apr 2003, Viktor Hornak wrote:
>>
>> >I came across the problem with glut after upgrading from 8.0 to 9. The
>> >application I was using (pymol.sf.net) ran fine under 8.0 but after
>> >upgrade to 9 it doesn't work any more and the following error message is
>> >displayed:
>> >
>> >ImportError: /usr/lib/libglut.so.3: undefined symbol:
>> >XGetExtensionVersion
>> >
>> >When I downgrade from 9's versions (glut-3.7-12, glut-devel-3.7-12) back
>> >to 8.0's (glut-3.7-8, glut-devel-3.7-8) it works again. That's strange
>> >because glut hasn't changed for quite a while (version 3.7) and I cannot
>> >see why the symbol definitions would change.
>>
>> Using Nvidia hardware and proprietary drivers I presume?
>> --
>> Mike A. Harris     ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
>
>Yes, that's right. I know these aren't supported but I was also using
>them without any problem on 8.0. Would downgrading glut in 9 cause any
>stability problems? Very few applications in standard install depend on
>glut.

This problem only seems to show up with nvidia's drivers
aparently, however it appears to be due to Nvidia not
implementing a few things in libGL, and glut expecting them to be
there.  It's somewhat weird because we've shipped the same
version of glut for 3 distribution releases now and the problem
is only being reported in the last few weeks.

While it is true that we don't support Nvidia's drivers, and this
problem only seems to occur with the Nvidia drivers, the problem
seems to be in the glut library assuming certain features are
available in the libGL implementation installed.  Mesa supports
them, but Nvidia doesn't.  At least this is my current
understanding.

There is no fix or workaround currently however I will be trying
to work this issue out in rawhide during the upcoming development
cycle.  When it's resolved, I'll stuff some new glut rpms for RHL
9 and any other affected releases somewhere also.

In the mean time, you can work around the issue, by downloading
the mesa3d source code, and using the glut library that comes
with Mesa instead.

What I will probably do for the distro, is switch from the
official SGI glut we have now, to the Mesa included glut library
for the next release.

Hope this helps.