Re: Dual Monitors

since we are on the subject,
I have xinerama running with kde 3.0. Is there a way to have new windows default to a specific display?
Also, is there a way to minimize apps onto two its on display's task bar?

Mitch Crane wrote:

This one time, at band camp, "Mitch Crane" <tenacious_x@xxxxxxxxxx>

wrote:

My problem is, I don't know how to enable my second video card. I'm

not

even sure it's possible. One card is an nVidia GF3 and the other is

Voodo3. I've been using the Voodoo3 PCI card for my second monitor

with

various nVidia cards for a few years now in Win2k and XP. It works

great

and I really miss the extra real estate when I'm running Linux.

Not only is it possible, but much fun..
you simply need to edit your XF86Config to reflect the new monitor and
video card. I use a dual head Matrox G450 (will accept upgrade offers)

and

xinerama. I have in the past used up to 3 different video cards to run
multiple monitors.

There are some good docs here
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/

Thanks, Kevin and Mark. tldp.org seemed to be down for a while yesterday, but I loaded it up this morning and got my dual monitor setup working. It wasn't too painful at all. X -configure left my XF86Config in a pretty generic state, but got me to a good starting point. From there I just pasted my old mouse and keyboard configs back in from the backup, fixed a few monitor params, and added the Xinerama flag.

I noticed some (all?) dialogs poping up spanning the monitors. I don't
know if that's a window manager issue or if maybe there's a fix for
that. If not, it's not a serious problem.

-- -regards

Stephen Mah - Systems Administrator
Oracle Global Desktop Architecture
steve.mah@xxxxxxxxxx - (650) 633-8834

"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax." -- Albert Einstein