Re: anyone with new vmware install/config to share?

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 15:26, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i just got the latest vmware workstation for linux (4.0),
> and hope to spend some time this weekend setting it up.
> so if anyone out there has been through this under shrike,
> i'm interested in any good luck/bad luck stories.
>
>   particularly for a dell inspiron 8100 with 1600x1200
> display, and nvidia geforce2go.  no sense making this
> easy.

(Almost) snap! I too am planning to install VMwareWorkstation 4.0 over
the weekend, on a Dell Inspiron 8200, NVidia GeForce 440 Go, 1600x1200.
So let's keep each other abreast of how we're getting on (although
probably that should be done off-list).

I was running VMware 3.2 on Mandrake 8.2 on this machine without
problem, and had several VMs set up and running nicely. I did a clean
install of RHL9 and so before installing it I backed up all my VMs and
everything in /etc. I tried playing around with the VMwareWorkstation
4.0 beta after installing RHL9 and did run into a few problems. Firstly,
the hardware spec of the new VM has changed quite a lot, and when I
started each VM they detected the new hardware, and wanted to access the
CD-ROM drive to get drivers off the Windows CD-ROM, but for some reason
they couldn't find the CD-ROM device, despite the fact that it is still
/dev/cdrom just as it was in Mandrake 8.2. The other problem I had was
that the configure script gave me different network settings than
before, and so none of the VM's networking worked anymore. This time
around, I'm going to first rpm -e the 4.0 beta, and delete /etc/vmware,
and then restore the /etc/vmware from my old VMware3.2/Mdk8.2 install,
and then install VMware 4.0 and run the config script and hope it
preserves my original network settings.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com